In the ever-changing world of events, it’s crucial to know what your attendees think about their experience.
From audio-visual setup to attendees to internal and external stakeholder management, several aspects lead to the success of an event. But coming up with the right survey questions can be a daunting task, especially when you’re dealing with different event formats.
Look no further!
Our 2023 All-In-One Guide of Event Survey Questions has got you covered.
Whether you’re organizing a webinar, in-person event, hybrid event, or virtual event, this guide provides a comprehensive set of survey questions to help you gather valuable insights from your attendees.
Get ready to take your events to the next level!
Table of contents
- Types of Survey questions
- Top 7 Survey Questions for Events [With Choices]
- Pre Meeting Survey Questions
- Post Meeting Survey Questions
- Post Event Survey Questions for All Event Formats
- Post Virtual Event Survey Questions
- How to Survey Virtual Event Attendees
- Conference Survey App Questions
- Tips for successful event survey
Before we dive into the various event survey templates, let’s start with a quick refresher on the different post event surveys examples
These event survey templates can save you time and ensure that you collect important feedback in an organized and structured way. Trust me, your attendees will appreciate the opportunity to share their thoughts and suggestions.
Event Survey Templates To get the maximum responses
Post-Session Evaluation Survey
This template includes questions that help evaluate the quality of individual sessions, such as the relevance, clarity, and delivery of the content.
Net Promoter Score (NPS) Survey
This template includes questions that help determine the likelihood of attendees recommending the event to others.
Sponsorship and Exhibitor Feedback Survey
This template includes questions that help evaluate the success of the exhibitor booths and sponsorship opportunities.
This template includes questions that help gather information about attendees’ demographics and attitudes towards the event, which can be useful for planning future events.
This template includes questions that help gather information about attendees’ expectations and preferences before the event, which can help organizers tailor the event to meet their needs.
This template includes questions that help evaluate attendees’ overall satisfaction with the event, such as the event’s organization, speakers, sessions, and networking opportunities.
Types of survey questions [With Examples]
Event survey forms serve a distinct purpose from other survey forms used for research. The primary goal of an event survey is to measure the effectiveness of the event. Therefore, the questions must be carefully crafted to eliminate any ambiguity in respondents’ answers. Broadly there are three types of questions used by marketers:
|Question Type||Key Use||Sample Question||Response Options|
|Close Ended Questions||Quantitative Data||How would you rate the venue for this event?||a. Excellent |
|Rating Scale||Quantitative Data||How would you rate the overall organization of the event?||a. Very well organized |
b. Somewhat well organized
c. Poorly organized
d. Very poorly organized
|Open-ended||Qualitative Feedback & unique insights||What did you enjoy the most about the event?||Answer box|
|NPS Questions||Indicator of attendee satisfaction||How likely is it that you would recommend the event to a colleague/family/friend ?||1-10 scale |
(1 = Extremely Unlikely
10 = Extremely Likely)
Top 7 Survey Questions for Events that You Must Ask
These survey questions for events we’ve recommended are essential to get a clear understanding of the attendee’s experience and the effectiveness of the event.
1. How did you hear about the event?
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Email newsletter
- Word of mouth
- Event listing website (Eventbrite, Meetup, etc.)
- Flyers or posters
- Newspaper or magazine ad
- Radio or TV ad
- Other (please specify)
By asking this question, you can determine the most effective marketing strategies used to promote the event, which can be beneficial in planning and promoting future events.
2. What did you like best about the event?
This is an open-ended question.
Open-ended questions like these help you take a more qualitative approach to gathering feedback from attendees. They can also help you uncover unexpected or overlooked aspects of the event that were especially meaningful to attendees.
3. What did you like least about the event?
Similarly, this open-ended question allows your attendees to provide constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement.
Addressing negative feedback will help you prevent negative reviews or word-of-mouth that could harm the event’s reputation. It’s a great way to demonstrate your commitment to attendee satisfaction.
4. Was the event relevant to your interests?
- Extremely relevant
- Mostly relevant
- Somewhat relevant
- Not very relevant
- Not at all relevant
- Don’t remember/Not sure
Tip : It’s important to include a “Don’t remember/Not sure” option for attendees who may have difficulty recalling their level of interest or relevance.
This is the most critical question to ask your attendees. This single choice survey question will help you understand the quality of your event content. It will help you identify areas for improvement in future events, such as offering a wider range of topics or tailoring the content to better match attendees’ interests.
You could get into further detail with the below survey questions for event content
- Did the event cover any unexpected or surprising topics that you found valuable?
- Was there a particular topic or theme that you would have liked to see covered in more depth?
- Were the speakers or presenters knowledgeable and experienced in the topics they covered?
- Do you feel that the topics covered at the event will be helpful or applicable to your work or personal life?
5. How satisfied were you with the venue/location?
- Very satisfied
- Somewhat satisfied
- Somewhat dissatisfied
- Very dissatisfied
This question will give you valuable feedback on the effectiveness of your venue and event logistics.
You could further delve into the venue details with
- Was the seating arrangement comfortable for the event?
- Did you have any issues with accessibility or finding your way around the venue?
- Were the facilities at the venue, such as restrooms, food and beverage options, and technology resources, satisfactory for your needs during the event?
6. Would you attend this event again?
- Definitely yes
- Probably yes
- Probably not
- Definitely not
This is a great question to determine overall success of the event.
If a significant number of attendees indicate that they would attend the event again, it is an indication that the event was well received and that the attendees found value in attending. On the other hand, if a large number of attendees indicate that they would not attend the event again, it is a clear indication that improvements need to be made in order to make the event more engaging and valuable for attendees.
7. Would You recommend this event to a friend or colleague or family?
Make this question a NPS choice question where the range is 1-10 (1 – Definitely not recommend ; 10 – Definitely recommend)
You can make the following interpretation based on answer
- 0-6: Detractors (Unhappy attendees who may damage your event brand by sharing negative experiences with others)
- 7-8: Passives (Satisfied attendees but they won’t promote your event)
- 9-10: Promoters (Extremely satisfied attendees who will organically promote your event)
The NPS is calculated by subtracting the percentage of detractors from the percentage of promoters. The resulting score can range from -100 (if everyone is a detractor) to 100 (if everyone is a promoter).
Pre Meeting Survey Questions for the Best Insights
Sending Pre Meeting Survey Questions can help you gather important information and insights from attendees before the meeting. It can help you with the following
- Tailor your meeting to you attendee’s needs
- Address any concerns or issues beforehand
- It will help you cater to food preferences like vegan, allergies etc.,
- Gather insights to help with your marketing strategies and tactics.
Ideally you want to send the below pre meeting survey questions 3-4 weeks before the meeting. A reminder a week prior to the meeting
1. Were you able to register for the meeting easily?
- No, was too complex
- I didn’t register on my own
2. Is this your first time attending a meeting organized by us?
- Yes, this is my first time
- No, but it has been a while
- I attend quite regularly
3. What are your goals for attending this meeting?
This is an open ended question. Avoid putting choices or at least put Other as an option
4. Would you be needing special assistance from us?
- If Yes, Please specify
5. What are your food preferences?
- Non vegetarian
- Gluten free
- Fasting food
6. Are you allergic to any food ? (If yes, please specify)
7. How do you plan on traveling to the meeting venue?
- My car
- Public transportation
- Taxi or Ride sharing service (e.g. Uber, Lyft)
- Other (please specify)
8. Is there any additional information or feedback you would like to provide before the meeting?
Post Meeting Survey Questions to Ask
1. Was the purpose of the meeting effectively communicated beforehand?
2. Were you satisfied with the duration of the meeting and the agenda items covered?
- The meeting was too short and felt rushed.
- The meeting was the right length and covered all the necessary agenda items.
- The meeting was too long and could have been more efficient.
- The meeting was too long and some agenda items were not covered.
3. Were you able to contribute your perspectives and ideas during the meeting?
4. Did the meeting provide enough opportunity for interaction and discussion?
- Yes, there was ample opportunity for interaction and discussion.
- Somewhat, there were some opportunities but could have been more.
- No, there was little to no opportunity for interaction and discussion.
5. Did the meeting result in actionable next steps or decisions?
- Yes, there were clear and actionable next steps identified.
- Somewhat, there were some next steps identified but they were not clearly defined.
- No, there were no actionable next steps identified.
- I am not sure.
6. Did the meeting facilitator effectively manage the conversation and keep the meeting on track?
- Yes, the facilitator did an excellent job keeping the meeting focused.
- Somewhat, the facilitator could have been more assertive in managing the conversation.
- No, the facilitator struggled to keep the meeting on track.
- I don’t know, I didn’t pay much attention to the facilitator.
- Other (please specify): ______________________________.
7. Was there anything unexpected that arose during the meeting, and if so, how was it handled?
8. Is there anything you would like to see done differently or improved for future meetings?
Depending on the nature of the meeting, you may want to ask attendees about their experience with any technology used during the meeting (e.g., video meeting software) or about logistical issues such as transportation and accommodations.
Pre Event Survey for remote attendees
This list of questions is specific for remote attendees only.
- Which device will you attend the event from ? (Tip: Make this a multi-select)
- Windows Laptop
- Apple Laptop
- Android mobile/tablet
- iOS mobile/tablet
- Would you prefer a digital or physical swag box?
- Have you attended a virtual event or webinar before?
- Have you attended any events that we have organized before?
- Were you able to register for the event easily? How would you rate your experience on a scale of 1-10?
- What was your thought on the integrated registration and ticketing process? Did it improve your experience?
- Is there any information that you are having difficulty accessing?
Post Virtual Meeting Survey questions
This is the exhaustive list of event feedback questions to mix and match for both in-person and remote attendees.
Generic Post Event survey questions
- How did you hear about the event?
- Social media
- Online search
- I attended last edition
- Friend/colleague recommended
- Overall how satisfied were you with the event?
- Very satisfied
- Very dissatisfied
- Do you think the event offered value to you?
- Not really
- Yes, I got what i wanted
- There is scope for improvement
- Were you able to achieve your desired objectives by attending the event in-person?
- Not at all
- It met my expectations
- Exceeded expectations
- Did you get sufficient breaks and discussion time during the entire event?
- On a scale of 1-10 please rate your onsite check-in experience?
- Would you sign up for our next event?
- On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend this event to a friend or colleague?
- For the next edition which type of event would you prefer?
- Virtual only
- In-person only
- I won’t be attending
- Which language would you like us to include for the next event?
- Would say the event was interactive?
- No, it was one-way
- Yes, I was engaged
- Would you agree the duration of the event was perfect for you ?
- Strongly agree
- Strongly disagree
- How many sessions did you attend ?
- Which event sessions did you like the most?
- Which event sessions did you dislike (and why)?
- On a scale of 1-10 how was your experience with the sponsor spaces & exhibitor booths?
- On a scale of 1-10, how satisfied are you with the networking opportunities available during the event?
- Were the sessions informative? Please tell us how informative you found the sessions to be, on a scale of 1-10
- Which speaker’s session did you enjoy the most? Why?
- Which speaker’s session did you dislike the most? Why?
- Which exhibitor had the best booth?
- On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the food ?
- Overall any feedback you would like to give us
post virtual event survey questions for attendees
When you’re planning a virtual event, whether it’s a webinar, virtual conference, or employee engagement, understanding your attendees’ needs and preferences is key to hosting a successful event. It can be a challenging task, but with the right approach, you can create an event that meets and even exceeds your attendees’ expectations.
That’s where a post virtual event survey comes in handy. By asking your attendees the right questions, you can gain valuable insights into their experience and identify areas for improvement. To help you get started, I’ve put together a set of post virtual event survey questions for attendees that are designed to gather feedback and insights to improve your next virtual event.
These questions should be be combined with other post event survey questions valid for all event formats
1. Where did you attend the event from ?
- Eastern Europe
- North America
- Western Europe
- Middle east
- South America
2. How did you attend the event ?
- Only Remote
- Remote & In-person
- In-person only
3. What did you enjoy the most on the virtual event platform?
Tip : Don’t forget to make this multi-select
- Live Stream sessions
- On-demand pre recorded videos
- Remote engagement with speaker
- Exhibitors booths
- Online interaction
4. How would you rate the virtual venue check-in on a scale of 1-10?
- 1 – Very Confusing
- 10 – Excellent & Seamless
5. Were you able to navigate the virtual event venue with ease?
- Seamless and intuitive
- Still confused what to do
- I didn’t know what to do but the guide helped
6. What do you think is missing currently from the virtual event platform?
Open ended question
7. Did you experience any lag in the live stream?
- For the whole event
8. Did you receive technical support in a timely manner
- Yes, very quickly
- Yes, but it took longer than expected
- No, I did not receive technical support
- I did not need it.
9. How many connections did you make online ?
Tip : Give options as a range depending on your size of attendees
10. Would you be willing to pay a nominal fee to access post-event videos?
- Yes, definitely
- Maybe, depending on the fee
- No, I’m not interested in paying for the videos
11. How would you rate the video quality of the session?
- Very good
12. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your experience interacting with the exhibitor booths?
- Excellent (10)
- Very good (8-9)
- Good (6-7)
- Fair (4-5)
- Poor (1-3)
13. How many virtual sessions did you attend?
You could put a number range or keep an open number box
14. How likely are you to attend another virtual event hosted by us in the future?
Great job on putting together a set of effective virtual event survey questions! Now comes the next step – setting up and publishing the survey to your attendees. Don’t worry, it’s not as daunting as it sounds. To help you out, here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to survey your virtual event attendees and gather valuable feedback.
How to survey virtual event attendees
Step 1 – Define your goals: Before sending out your survey, you should first identify your objectives for conducting the survey. What specific questions are you looking to answer? What information do you hope to gain from the survey? This will help you determine the type of questions to ask in your survey.
Step 2 – Choose your virtual event platform: Ideally, your virtual event platform should have the capability to conduct the post-event survey. If not, you can choose from popular survey tools such as SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, Typeform, and more.
Step 3 – Create your virtual event survey: Here are 5 quick tips to setup the ideal virtual event survey
- Keep it short and focused: Attendees are more likely to complete a short survey, so focus on the most important questions and keep the overall length manageable.
- Use a mix of question types: Use a combination of open-ended and closed-ended questions to get both quantitative and qualitative feedback.
- Ask specific questions: Instead of asking generic questions like “Did you enjoy the event?”, ask more specific and open-ended questions like “What was your favorite session and why?” This will help you gather more detailed and actionable feedback.
Step 4 – Distribute your survey: You can send it out via email, social media, or even within the virtual event platform itself. Be sure to communicate the importance of the survey and how the feedback will be used to improve future events.
Step 5 – Provide incentives & Followup : Encourage attendees to participate in your survey by offering incentives such as discounts or giveaways. Create an automated email reminder after 1 week post the vitual event.
Step 6 – Take action: Use the insights gathered from the survey to make improvements to future virtual events. Communicate the changes made to attendees and show them how their feedback was valuable in making the event better.
Conference Survey App Questions
Here are some app feedback questions for your conference event app you can use to gather feedback from attendees
1. Were you aware of the event app?
- Yes , I downloaded it
- Yes but I didn’t download it
- What event app? No one told me about it
2. How easy was it to access and navigate the conference survey app?
- Very easy
- Somewhat easy
- Somewhat difficult
- Very difficult
3. What have you used the event app for, so far?
Tip: Make this a multi-option check box
- Registration & checkin
- Viewing event schedule
- Posting on event wall
- General information
4. Did you find the push notifications from the conference event app helpful in keeping you informed about the event?
- I did not provide permissions for notifications
- Bonus – Were there too many push notifications?
5. Did you network with attendees via the event app?
- I wasn’t aware of the networking feature
- I wasn’t aware of the event app
6. Would you like to see any additional features or improvements to the conference survey app in the future?
Open ended question
7. On a scale of 1-10 how was your experience of engaging in discussions and live polls via the Event app?
- 1 – Poor
- 10 – Excellent
8. Did you use the conference survey app to connect with exhibitors or sponsors? If so, how was your experience?
Open ended questions
9. Would you want to continue using our event app for the rest of the year?
- Of course
- No I uninstalled immediately
- I didn’t download
Tips for successful event surveys
It is always recommended to conduct an event survey almost immediately after your event is completed because that covers the experience of attendees in totality. The increased convenience of taking online surveys has become the most preferred method amongst businesses and event hosts. There are ample tools available in the market to facilitate that. Here are some of our recommendations:
Survey Monkey: It is one of the most popular survey tools used by businesses, students, institutes, etc. One can easily generate a survey form on their website and embed it in mailers, as well as share links to the customized questionnaire page.
Google Forms: Probably the most convenient and accessible tool to communicate with. There is no upper limit to the number of questions you can ask, or the number of responses you can collect. The data is stored on Google Drive.
Event App: Event apps have simplified the circulation of event survey forms and their data collection by facilitating the use of an event app. An event app is essential for any event, and provides an organizer with a number of features – one of which is a post-event survey engagement for in-person attendees almost immediately after the event’s completion. The event app and its features, including the post-event survey, can also be accessed by remote attendees as well.
1. Ask specific questions
Specific, precise questions will earn you an accurate answer. Keep questions short, and to the point.
2. Circulate the questionnaire at the earliest
To ensure that you receive good quality answers, it is advisable to circulate the post-event survey within 24 hours of the hybrid event’s completion. Try and reach out to users via multiple touchpoints to ensure participation in your survey.
3. Embed photos or videos
Adding pictures or videos to the survey will make it easy for attendees to recall the key moments from the event clearly. It will improve the quality of the answers.
With these insights, you should be able to conduct a compelling and comprehensive survey for your hybrid event, and gain important insights to improve subsequent events and grow your business!
Frequently Asked questions
What is pre event survey?
Pre event surveys are surveys that are run before the event to gauge the experience of attendees on pre-event activities. These could include registration , pre-event communication, event app activities. Ideally an event app ensure you get the best responses.
What are some interesting survey questions?
While most surveys need to have the generic must have questions listed in this article. You can include interesting questions like best goodies you got ; best dressed speaker or best food.
What are warm up questions in a survey?
Use warm up questions to get better response rates and reduce drop offs. The best warm up questions should be single-choice or quick rating. Simple questions t the start attendees to give more specific nuanced answers
How do you evaluate a virtual event?
You can evaluate virtual events either using surveys or deep-integrated usage web analytics. Since it is virtual it allows you get richer data passively – Ensure you cover these three parts of virtual event . Registration, Streaming & other areas like networking/gamification/exhibitors. If you do have exhibitors pay special attention to them